“ Addressing Math Anxiety”
Name of Presenter: William Emanuel
Title: Director of the People of Color Training Center
Organization: The People of Color Training & Research
250 Westwood Drive
York, PA 17404
Title of Presentation: “Addressing Math Anxiety”
Audiovisual Needs: TV, VCR, screen, slide projector
& overhead projector.
Professor Emanuel describes his experience with a student
who had a learning disorder at a Community College he tutored in the
fall of 2004. At first the student did not like math and wanted to do
the minimum. But at the time of his finals he wanted to work more problems
than what the teacher was requiring of him. He felt that he was empowered
to do mathematics at the end of the semester
He discusses the problems that confront youth and adults
growing up in America. He gives them ways to dealt with these obstacles.
Moreover he assures his listeners that they can become whatever they
want despite the odds.
* Helping one understand math like one understands speaking
* Help one understand how math is used to run cars, turn
on lights and many other practical things we do in life.
* Help people understand how he/she can calculate the
mileage for a trip and how much money to bring with them so they can
get back home without running out of money.
* Showing the need for higher education in the running
of this society.
* He will describe how the Ancient Egyptians used mathematics
to build the Great Pyramid & The Sphinx.
* He shows how the Ancient Africa’s superiority
in regards to engineering, science & architecture is also available
to us today.
* Testimonies from students.
here to see the Developmental Math Presentation
here to see the Beginners Algebra Presentation
here to see the Algebra and Trigonometry Presentation